June is Hernia Awareness Month
A hernia is a tear in the muscle wall that allows the contents inside the abdomen to bulge outwards. There are different types of hernia, but hernias most commonly occur in the abdominal or groin area.
It is crucial to raise public awareness of the warning signs and latest treatment options available for hernias.
Common symptoms of hernias:
- A swelling or bulge in the groin or scrotum
- Increased pain at the site of the bulge
- Pain when lifting weights
- Increased size of bulge over time
- Dull, aching pain
- The feeling of congestion or signs of bowel obstruction
How to prevent it?
- Keep a healthy diet and exercise
- Eat enough fruit, vegetables, and whole grains to avoid constipation
- Avoid lifting things that are beyond your strength.
- See your doctor if you are ill with a persistent cough or sneezing.
- Do not smoke – this habit can lead to coughing, which provokes the development of a hernia.
In case the person has been diagnosed with a hernia, there are three ways how to treat it:
- Open surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Robotic hernia repair
The best approach is determined by the patient’s surgeon.
Updated: June 4, 2021
Permanent link: https://2022.gctrials.com/posts/june-is-hernia-awareness-month/